KeyShot for 3ds Max Plugin
These installation notes are specific to the latest version of the KeyShot for 3ds Max plugin unless otherwise mentioned. For questions about other versions, please contact [email protected]
The KeyShot for 3ds Max plugin requirements are as follows:
- 3ds Max 2020-2023
- Windows 64-bit
Plugins for previous versions of KeyShot are available here.
The KeyShot for 3ds Max plugin supports these features:
- Parts retain materials and layers
- Objects retain material names
- Support for hair (curves)
- LiveLinking (update model inside KeyShot)
- Support for part and camera animations (requires KeyShot Pro)
- Export of rigged and deformable animations (requires KeyShot Pro)
After downloading, double-click the installation file. Follow the prompts and click Finish. Re-start or launch 3ds Max.
KeyShot Plugin Menu
Once installed, a KeyShot plugin menu will appear inside 3ds Max. The KeyShot plugin menu has a few options: Render, Update, Export, Export Animation, and Settings.
Use Render to transfer the 3D model and animations from 3ds Max to KeyShot.
Use Update while your KeyShot scene is open to update changes made in 3ds Max.
Use Export to export your geometry as a .BIP file that you can share with other KeyShot users. KeyShot will not launch.
Use Export Animation to export each frame of your animation as individual .BIP files that you can share with other KeyShot users. KeyShot will not launch.
Settings provides additional export options for curves (hair), lights (photometric), animations, cameras, and layers.
How To Use The Plugin
- Open your scene or model in 3ds Max.
- Click Render under the KeyShot plugin tab. The plugin will launch KeyShot and transfer the 3D model from 3ds Max to KeyShot.
- To update any changes made in 3ds Max, click the Update command while KeyShot is open. All KeyShot materials, textures, labels, animations, transformations, cameras, and lighting in the scene will be preserved.
- To export your 3DS Max scene as a .bip file, click Export. You can open this .bip file inside KeyShot.
You may uninstall the KeyShot plugin from the Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.